Not your basic chili oil folks, this chili oil is flavorful and takes your basic oiling of the pan to new heights with its umami profile! It’s not overly spicy but is more smoky in character and the flavors get bolder the longer it sits so it only gets better! This is chili oil so the most important factor is to use fantastic quality chili flakes so keep that in mind! Use a few tablespoons to baste the interior of a hot wok for savory Asian inspired favorites or serve as a garnish drizzled in ramen bowls, spooned over grilled fish or over rice and steamed veggies. I even get a kick out of using this oil when I make my favorite authentico Mexican eats like Mexican toasted rice, grilled corn cobs and grilled meats. The oil is infused with a little chipotle, ginger, garlic and scallion then poured over chili flakes and layered with minced garlic, ginger and aromatic warming spices. The chipotle pepper is optional but it adds an additional layer of smokiness that is fantastic! My favorite part is stirring well before each use and getting spoonfuls of the yummy garlicky, gingery chili flakes from the bottom because thats where all the flavor is people! You will still need to season your ingrediants with salt this is just an awesome layer of flavor to your typical oil blenďs. You won’t need it for every recipe but those specialty international recipes will like this extra kick!
SERVINGS: 1.5 CUPS
PREP TIME: 5 MINS
TOTAL TIME: < 10 MINS
- 1 cup vegetable oil or light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons quality chili flake
- 1 dried chipotle pepper (optional)
- 2 cloves of peeled garlic, whole
- 1 piece of peeled ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped scallion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- Heat one cup of vegetable oil in a small saucepan or skillet and allow oil to get hot, once oil starts to bubble up reduce heat to medium and add fresh ginger, garlic, scallion and chipotle. Allow these aromatics to get warm in the oil and just before they start to get brown remove them from the oil, be watchful not to burn the aromatics. Turn off the heat and set your pan aside and allow the oil to cool slightly for a moment.
- In a heat safe cermaic bowl add your warm infused oil over the chili flakes and stir well to combine and allow the oil to slightly cook the chili flakes and release a bit of smoky flavor. Now add in your minced garlic, grated ginger and spices and mix very well to combine. Skimp the top layer and keep covered in a mason jar refrigerated for a couple months. Stir the bottom well each time you use it and be sure to wash your hands well when dealing with peppers! Enjoy!