We live in the grandest time in the history of food! We are more in tune with our taste buds now than ever before. Food is in, Food is cool, Food is ART! Gone are the days when American cuisine was cold burgers, greasy fries and an extra-large Coke! We have risen to our fullest potential people, and we realize now more than ever before that we must eat clean to be clean! That being said…let me introduce you to the smoothie bowl! Unless you’ve been living under a rock recently this trend is in and any true foodie has seen it, tasted it and……………either loved it or hated it! These bowls are some of the most beautiful food displays we’ve ever seen BUT is it realistic to think that a bowl filled with a thin smoothie blend, poured loosely in a bowl and topped with a million and one garnishes could be good at all? Let me be the first to admit it, that is not my style! If it looks good, then by golly it dang sure better taste good! No false pretenses, no foolery..i want what I came here for folks!
Introducing MY smoothie bowl…aka what some refer to as “nice cream”! Remember the non-diary ice cream of your dreams everyone was making some time ago? The one made of purely bananas that taste just like creamy, dreamy soft-serve? Yeah, that’s what the basis of my smoothie bowl is foodies. I can’t stand a runny smoothie bowl…if its gonna be a regular smoothie, no problem…i absolutely love smoothies but give me a cup and a straw not a spoon and a bowl! If you give me a bowl, it better be a bowl of delicious and this ain’t breakfast early birds…my smoothie bowl is sinful dessert! I had to remind myself that this was healthy and had to remind myself that this taste great even non-dairy because it taste like full fat ice-cream guys but was not at all!!
Full of frozen mixed berries, tropical fruit, milk or almond milk and some spices for a kick! Then topped with more berries, sliced bananas and a small dose of brown sugar for the full effect! It was my mission to create a smoothie bowl with toppings you will actually eat! This recipe feeds a crowd so grab a big bowl and four spoons and indulge without guilt! Just hurry because it will melt but i’m sure it will devoured before than so you should be okay! lol!
SERVINGS: 4 BOWLS
PREP TIME: 2-3 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 5 MINUTES
- 4 halves or 2 whole bananas, frozen is a must
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup frozen tropical fruit
- 1 1/4 cups cold milk or almond milk, more if needed
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly peeled and grated ginger or ground ginger (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Sliced Bananas
- Sliced Strawberries
- Whole Raspberries or Blackberries
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar or Turbinado sugar (do not omit, it will need a little bit of sweetener just like regular smoothies do)
- In the bowl of a large food processor, add your 2 bananas that had been cut in halves and frozen prior! You must use frozen bananas! Then add your frozen fruit, 1 1/4 cups of milk or milk substitute and your spices. Pulse and blend on high until smooth.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the processor bowl and add additional milk if it looks to chunky. You should be left with the smooth, creamy consistency of soft serve ice cream so just keep pulsing and adding enough milk until you reach the desired consistency.
- Add your smoothie ice cream to your serving bowls and top in beautiful rows with your sliced berries and bananas like a pretty rainbow and leave one small row for your brown sugar. Trust me, you will need just a little sweetener just like you do when making a regular blended smoothie. Mix well before eating to blend the sugar in and enjoy immediately!