Hey FOODIES, Today I am gonna take a break from the usual and keep it short & sweet….or should I say savory! Today had all the ingredients of a perfect day, it appears spring is finally on the horizon. The birds have been singing and the kids finally got a chance to play in the actual outdoors which seemed like a stretch after the unbearable winter we’ve had! Only thing is I have been in an RA flare-up which is an auto-immune condition I challenge every day. It had been improved but recently I have had an extremely hectic schedule and now I’m paying for not having taken a break sooner which is why I haven’t posted any recipes recently. So sorry guys! Moral of the story….take care of yourself the rest can wait! Today I was craving spaghetti….i LOVE, ADORE & dang near worship this Italian wonder and I have just about as many variations of this recipe as there are countries on earth..lol! I never get bored with reinventing my favorite food so you can pretty much count on seeing an entire chapter just on spaghetti alone in my latest cookbook project. Anyway, i just know your gonna love this addictive bowl full of slurpable (made that word up) noodle goodness, layered with a loaded sweet meat sauce and smoked Gouda cheese! Yes Gouda is a dutch cheese, not traditionally used in spaghetti but this smokey, gooey cheese was staring at me in my fridge just begging to be used as the star of the show in unison with mozzarella, so there you have it! This was so mouthwatering my husband barely let me shot a picture for the blog before devouring this and the homemade rolls! Enjoy
For my vegetarian FOODIES out there that still adore cheesy goodness, feel free to omit the meat, you could even add in 2 cups of chopped cremini or portabella mushrooms as a replacement and it would be delish!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1/2 pounds spaghetti
- 1 1/2 jars marinara sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup pitted and sliced black olives
- 1 1/2 pound smoked gouda, freshly shredded
- 1 pound mozzarella block, freshly shredded
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning or to taste
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs, oregano or basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Now fill up a large stockpot with water and season with a little salt and bring to a boil.
- In a large skillet add your ground beef and Italian sausage and brown over medium heat until cooked through, being sure to break it up with a spatula as it cooks. As it cooks season with Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, onion powder and mix well.
- Once pasta water comes to a boil, add your spaghetti noodles and cook for twelve minutes then drain.
- Add your onions to your cooked meat and saute the onions in the meat sauce for about three to five minutes until softened. Now add in your peppers, olives and tomato sauces and mix well. Add your sugar and herbs then taste adjusting seasonings to taste.
- In a large casserole alternate layers by placing a little sauce at the bottom of the baking dish then noodles, meat sauce and crumbled cheese. Repeat layers and end with more cheeses.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about fifteen minutes or until golden brown and enjoy!