This luscious, creamy, decadent, custardy & creamy banana pudding is outstanding! Layers of sweet softened vanilla wafers, sweet custard filling and whipped cream combine to become a dessert classic in this recipe. I dressed it up with a modern twist i got from Mr. Emeril Lagasse! He drizzles his with chocolate sauce but if you desire pure banana flava just omit the chocolate and it will be amazing as well! Taste great anytime of the year but in the summertime I put a twist on it and swap out vanilla extract for a tablespoon or two of key lime juice and/or zest to make a lime banana custard. For the summer version I don’t use chocolate syrup instead garnish with whipped cream, crushed vanilla wafers and chopped slivered almonds for a recipe remix. This is a must try dessert for your next occasion and trust me everybody will beg you for the recipe! Enjoy Foodies!
The temperature of your ingredients really makes a difference in this recipe. Be sure to use cold milk & whipped cream. Be sure to use room temperature cream cheese and canned sweetened condensed milk.
I prefer to use organic bananas in this recipe because they have more fresh flavor, do not use overly ripe bananas.
Although it is tempting to eat this deliciousness right away, let it chill first so that the pudding can set before serving!
I just used chocolate syrup as a garnish and if you prefer to eat it traditional you do not have to use chocolate sauce.
Makes about 6 servings in a 9 x 9 dish
- 1 box of good vanilla wafers, (you will need 1/2 the bag to assemble the pudding plus 1/2 cup crushed as topping)
- 2 & 1/2 bananas (you will need two sliced to assemble the pudding and 1/2 a banana mashed finely)
- 1 14 ou can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon or just enough to sprinkle
- 1 large box 5.3 ou vanilla instant pudding
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cold whipped cream
- Whipped cream to garnish
- Cold chocolate syrup to garnish (optional)
- In a 9 x 9 serving dish assemble a layer of vanilla wafers flat on the bottom of the dish and up around the sides as well.
- Top the layer of vanilla wafers with 2 bananas cut into slices on the bottom layer only, not the sides then sprinkle very lightly with ground cinnamon.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the softened cream cheese with a can of sweetened condensed milk and use a mixer on high to blend the cream cheese well making sure it’s creamy and not lumpy about one minute.
- Now, add the packet of dry instant pudding mix, 2 cups of cold milk and 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract along with 1/2 mashed banana. Use a mixer on low setting until well blended about one minute continuing mixing until creamy. Now using a rubber spatula or spoon gently fold in cold whipped cream until well blended.
- Pour pudding mixture over your dish with the layered cookies and bananas.
- If desired garnish with a dollop of whipped cream around the edges then top the pudding with crushed cookies and drizzle with cold chocolate syrup if desired.
- Let set in your refrigerator uncovered for two to four hours to chill before serving.
- Serve in bowls or cups and Enjoy! Will keep for about three days covered in the refrigerator.